Sunday, September 13, 2009

Would this be a "grande" or a "venti?"

It's been another craft-packed day!

I spent the bulk of it painting my giant ceramic teacup at Lily Pad. I special ordered this bad boy as soon as I announced the Wicked Wonderland theme, I thought this would be a great punch bowl or other serving piece :) I started with 3 coats of white paint over everything.


For the platter I went with wide stripes - when fired, this will be a pure black and white. This can also be used separate from the teacup as a serving plate on its own.


I waffled for a long time on what to do with the teacup. I think I'm going to have the "Mad Tea Party" area under blacklights, so I wanted white and black, but I also wanted it to be useful/make sense for more than this one event. So I decided to go with a classic formal tea cup look - white with black paisley-like patterns and a few small dark red flowers (again, it will all darken when fired and glazed). Each of the large patterns (3, spaced around the cup) are slightly different, but the same feel. I also used a lot of little black dots as texture and outlining.

So far I think I like it, I'm debating on what to use it for exactly but I think it could be fab with a little fogger or dry ice, or maybe just full of punch or chips. I won't get to see the final product for at least a week, so here's hoping it fires well!

No comments: