Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mirror, Mirror...in the front yard...



Last night all I wanted to do was be lazy and go to bed, but knowing how quickly Halloween is closing in on me I toughed it out and spent some more time on my projects.

My archway is starting to take shape! This is going to be in my front yard. Before guests (and trick-or-treaters) get to the door they are going to have to go "through the looking glass" just like Alice.

I'm really excited about this project because I've never really built anything on my own before - I'm more of a "rig it up" kind of girl, so actually sawing and drilling is a big step.

Previously I had finally used my new jig saw to cut out the top of the arch. Last night I screwed that piece to 7' building studs which will become the legs of the structure. I was a little disappointed to find my drill wasn't charged, and I still can't find the base, but it had enough juice to get the screws started and I could finish them by hand without too much problem.

The "legs" will be covered by 6' long by 8" wide beveled mirror panels. I thought that was probably too fragile/dangerous to just tack to a 4" wide beam, so I bought some thin wafer board and cut it into a 6' x 10" panels and screwed them to the front of the legs. This would provide something to attach the mirror clips to, and also act as more reinforcement/stability for the mirrors in case some errant toddler or drunken reveler crashes into an edge.

I plan to add a few more screws once my drill is charged, but since the mirrors will cover the center of the boards I went ahead and started to spray paint the edges silver.

Since this is just for one night I'm not worrying about the rough edges at all - as the Mad Hatter says, "No Time! Move Down!"

Next step is to add some depth and another set of legs so it'll stand on it's own like a little gazebo.

The other task I accomplished last night was masking and spraying the front of my standing mirror. I'm still not sure what I'm going to use this for exactly, probably just stick it in a corner somewhere inside.

So I feel like I got a lot accomplished, but still made it inside in time to watch Glee :)

No comments: