Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wonderland Costume Roundup: Caterpillar

So, I'm probably never going to have a lot of crafts to post on Wednesdays, since I now have a class Tuesday nights and will get home only to flop on the bed and watch Sons of Anarchy (Hamlet retold with motorcycle gangs - and the main character looks shockingly like my lil' bro before he cut his hair), and fall asleep in my clothes.

SO! I'm thinking a nice little solution to keep up my goal of posting every day - and hopefully multiple times per day - is to do an inspiration round up on Wednesdays. Since Halloween is the biggest thing on my mind, let's start with Wonderland characters, and of them, how about the Caterpillar? I know at least one person is hoping to put something together to come as this guy, and it's sure to be HILARIOUS!

So, here's some inspiration for you, stolen from all across our world wide web (thank you, Google image search)

This one is the licensed version available at most costume/party shops - but it's not cheap, around $125

Then here's the one "Broadway Costumes" rents - looks like they just cut the top off a few t-shirts and sewed them together for that tunic body. That would be easy enough.


This guy looks like he used green tights and stuffed them for the legs - again, easy, not very expensive, and still a big impact!


This one is super minimalist - solid color outfit, and tiny extra legs strapped around her mid section. Gets the point across, another way to realize the vision.


Here's a very elaborate one - with mannequin hands! They definitely add an element of CREEPY to the costume. Notice he has the full set up with the hookah too - which actually looks a lot like the lamp on my bedside table...


This fuzzy one actually looks like a caterpillar in my mind, but in my experience fuzzy fabric is super expensive, not to mention hot, so I probably wouldn't go this way, but if you happened to have it lying around...


And speaking of lying around, this one is apparently made 100% from different types of PAPER - wrapping paper, tissue paper, etc. I wonder how it held up?


I'm confused on this one because I can't actually SEE anyone in the caterpillar costume - maybe they're turned around, or maybe it's a stroller?


Here's the Disney version, he's just changed colors as he's getting ticked at Alice's nonsense, and he's about to turn into a butterfly. Hmm, costume duo idea - caterpillar and butterfly?


Black & white and sort of hand-drawn looking costumes, these must be from a play or other artistic take on the illustrations. Cool though.


Here's another non-literal costume, this one just uses color and shape to suggest the character rather than spell it out. Keep in mind you can't smoke in my house though.


And this final version is how I picture the caterpillar, perched atop his mushroom, wild colors, hookah in tow. These illusion pieces (where are his legs?!?!) are always big hits at costume contests, though could be a pain to sit in - and better make sure the shroom is detachable or you'll be stripping down for the loo.



Hope that gave you a few ideas! :) And no, I don't care at all if multiple people come as the same characters, I'm sure they'll all be different and amazing and funny. Can't wait!

5 comments:

Oso said...

Hello!

I was looking for costume ideas, and the group that I game with suggested that we all get dressed up for halloween as a group theme.

We decided to go as the entire cast from Alice in wonderland.

I was looking online and like NO ONE has the caterpillar on a mushroom costume for sale :(

SO I decided to start looking into making my own.

I came across your blog after much hours of frustration. and HALLELUJAH!

Your final picture was EXACTLY what I had in mind.

(also his feet are in the stem of the mushroom)

Have you created this costume? if so do you have patterns or ideas on how to get from point A to point B?

PLease let me know, and I will post pictures of the final product, and give you a kudos.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

oso.true@gmail.com

HeatherEve said...

I didn't make these, this post is just a round up of costumes found across the web. I would guess this is made with foam - basically a "tube" skirt, with a "peplum" mushroom cap. I'd love to see how yours turns out!

Unknown said...

this took a lot of your time.. and I really appreciate it! I am directing Alice for my kids school.. and this gave me great ideas. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thank you! This took effort and time on your part and I appreciate it. I am directing Alice for my kid's school in Venice.... this gave me great ideas.
THANKS AGAIN!

juli said...

I'm thrilled to find this older post! I'm almost finished w/all Alice costumes except the caterpillar...ours will be a bit of a "tough" guy, prisoner/black and white monarch caterpillar. Great inspirational finds! :)