Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Transformation with Heart...


We have a giant collage frame on our mantle full of photos by the fabulous Olivia Wagner. The frame itself was already a craft project once - my mom picked it up at Goodwill for a pittance. The glass was in great shape but it had a few chips/scratches on the frame. I did a quick touch up with some black paint and it was like new again - SCORE!

The fireplace is sort of the focal point of our living room, and I've been struggling for something great to do with it for our Halloween party. Last year I did it up in classic fall leaves, orange lights, a giant cracked mirror and Dept. 56 spiders made out of bells.
It was cute, but not right for a Wicked Wonderland theme. I thought for a long time, and finally came back to that collage frame we have up every day, and it clicked.

I did a google image search for "human heart" and came up with all sorts of gory/haunting/artistic images and printed them in the various sizes I needed to fill the frame.

For the center I chose a dark and ominous quote from the Queen of Hearts and printed it in the Beyond Wonderland font, red on black background. I think this helps tie it together with the theme of an evil Queen of Hearts.

I switched out the images quickly and without worrying too much about making them straight or centered - hey, it's just a temporary decoration. I think it turned out great! It's a little macabre, subtle, and it was practically free. We'll be getting new family photos taken in a few weeks anyways, so it was about time to remove the old images, and by the time Halloween is over I'll probably have the new ones ready to change over.

I'll still be doing garlands and other wicked touches, but I'm pretty happy with the collage - what do you think? The photo has some reflection & distortion, but it actually goes with the colors of our living room really well :)

No comments: