Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wonderland Costume Round Up: The Tweedles!

Couple costumes are always a good time, and especially helpful if your other half (generally husband) doesn't give a fig about dressing up and just wants you to handle it. Not that I know anyone (ahem) like that, but in case you do, here are some great Dum & Dee Duo ideas!

First, here's how they are illustrated in the original books - pretty freaky, right?


And I think Disney made them look less mean, but possibly more devious - they have sort of a pedophile clown feel to them, don't they?


Here's how Burton is doing them - reminds me of an Adam's family mash up of Fester and whatever the little boy's name was:


The national costume stores sells this pair:


Here's a stage version very similar to Disney's take:


And speaking of stage, Broadway Bares, a huge burlesque edgy annual performance to benefit AIDS research did a Wonderland theme a few years back, and here's how they decked out their hot male dancers as Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee:

Their little butt cheeks had "Dee" or "Dum" stenciled on them. No photo of that, but how about another ab shot? Okay, I'll indulge you:

My good friend Ryan worked wardrobe on that performance, and got to manhandle all those sweaty guys. He had some great videos and backstage shots that were very "inspirational."

To be fair, Tweedle Dum & Dee seem to be a very popular schtick for female burlesque performers as well:


If you come in one of these, I'll expect choreographed dance routines:


If you prefer a little more "coverage," here's how a dress or skirt & top can give the same feeling:


The main impact of these costumes is the doubling, so you can get away with less effort if you need to - like these guys who went uber simple - beanie hats and suspenders:


This duo had a whole photo shoot they said was inspired by the Tweedles - I'm on the fence if this really does it for me, but it's another idea:


Thanks for bearing with my weekend of costume round ups, after another weekend of wedding maddness, I should be back to projects and my own crafting tomorrow.

No comments: