Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Ohhhhhh Martha!


Martha's Halloween issue is out, and I treated myself on my lunch break (I have a subscription, but I'm not sure if I get the "special issues", and besides, I have no willpower!) and started paging through in the car.

Here are my early thoughts, after just a quick browsing:

1. I think she's going a little heavy on the glitter. I know, that sounds sacrilegious coming from me! Glitter is beautiful and fun and festive - but her glitter, the ultra fine glitter in every rainbow color, is just not cheap. I treated myself to a big pack from Michael's with a 40% off coupon once - but I find myself hording and rationing it, so I haven't used it for any big projects yet. Ever since Martha came out with her glitter line, she's featured more and more glitter crafts - I get it, but come on Martha, let's get back to the "budget friendly" crafts too - remember when you made costumes out of coffee filters and paper bags? That's accessible to everyone. **Note: on further inspection, a lot of this comes from an ad insert (a really huge one) so maybe Martha doesn't get all the blame for glitter pushing...

2. I have serious pumpkin envy. Every year she does all these cool Jack-O-Lanterns, and whenever I think I'm going to follow her lead and do up a bunch, I remember how hard pumpkin carving is and wimp out. A few years ago the hubby and I tried our hand at carving and I wanted to break out the power tools, our pumpkins were so thick and tough. I don't think we even finished. How did my dad do it all of our childhood - especially when he had to do it for all 3 of us kids! I suppose if I had a creative team scooping out all the guts like Martha does it would be a lot easier for me, too :) In this issue she has one that actually DISPENSES CANDY when you pull a tab! OMG, AMAZING!

3. DOESN'T MARTHA HAVE THE MOST AWESOME LIFE?!?!?! Seriously, how cool would it be to just dream up projects and then have all the resources and know-how to pull it off. ANYTHING YOU WANT! I'm so jealous.

4. Bee Girl & Bee Keeper Dad costumes = FANTASTIC! See pages 50-51, these are seriously adorable and different and not all that hard to put together. Ditto "Madame Butterfly" a couple pages later. Awesome and adorable. Owl baby is pretty cute too (page 52).

5. Her website is doing a "Halloween Party Workshop" starting next week, with weekly projects on two themes to help you craft a complete Martha affair. Probably worth following. Sign up here.

6. #26 on my bucket list is "see Martha Stewart live" - how freaking amazing would it be if I got to see the HALLOWEEN Show live? She usually has the studio audience dress up too. Oh to dream...

I'm sure I'll have more exclaimations after I've sat down and read it through, which I can't wait to do. I officially feel Halloweenish now! On my lunch break I also scooped up a few foam heads to start my own decorations for the Queen of Heart's court.

Yay!

No comments: