Saturday, September 12, 2009

Secret Reaper Gift - Done!

By noon today I'd already finished cleaning the house, baked a pan of brownies for the bachelor party hubby is hosting, and grouted my mosaic mirror so I an get that shipped off.
Here it is all covered with the grout.

It wasn't that hard to do! I bought a small bag of the same type of grout I'd used in my class, Keracolor. In the class I used "biscuit" and here I got white - they pretty much look the same to me. I mixed it roughly as it says on the package - 3 parts powder to 1 part water, and scooped it onto the mosaic. Then I used a cool squeegee trowel I scooped up at Menards (right next to the grout mix - I think it was about $4. it worked AWESOME! Much easier than the little pieces of sponge we used in class, and this way I didn't slice even a single finger.

For the edges I just tried to cover them with a thin layer of grout, sort of like frosting a cake. I think it worked out fine, and now they aren't a focal point.

So here is the finished (but still drying) product! I love it! I'll let it dry for a couple more days and ship it off to my "victim" on Monday. I hope they like it! It fits perfectly into the box my computer was shipped in when I had it repaired, and I think (hope!) all of the padding and tight fit will keep it safe on it's journey.

No comments: