Friday, September 11, 2009

Painting the roses red - and the decapitated heads peach!


I'm not gonna lie, I'm running on empty this week. I'm still on a deficit from my back to back "adventures" in sky diving and emergency vet clinics. But that doesn't mean I'm not anxious to realize all my Halloween plans! Even though everything in my being wanted to take a nap, I headed up to the craft tower to knock out a couple painting projects.

I slapped a couple of coats of flesh colored paint on my foam wig forms - these will eventually become decapitated heads (victims of the Queen of Hearts) displayed on pikes in the front yard. My only goal tonight was to get a base of paint, so I can work on embellishing them once I dig out my wigs and get the stakes to mount them on. Mission: Accomplished! Don't they look like very peacefully resting aliens?


Painting project #2 was more letters - but in a slightly smaller size. These ones I found on clearance at Michael's. I won't tell you what they spell out yet, but I am loving using text and quotes for a theme drawn from literature. It seems very fitting.

These letters are going in a different area of the house than the Wonderland marquee I did last week, and I was looking to capture a Cheshire Cat feel for these ones. I used the colors Disney made popular for the character (recognizable is a big plus as far as Halloween fun) and tried to paint something reminiscent of an animal print. I think it worked out pretty well! I might have to go back over the purple again, but so far so good.

I think I did 14 of these letters, and 3 heads last night - not bad for an evening's work!

No comments: