Sunday, June 07, 2009

Toothfairy Costume



This is still one of my favorite costumes ever, worn Halloween 2005. The dress was a bridesmaid dress from ragstock that I hacked off and hemmed up. I ordered plastic tooth necklaces meant to hold children's lost teeth from Oriental Trading Company and hung them from blue satin ribbons all around the hem, and I bedazzled the outline of a tooth on the bust. The foam tooth for the wand came from eBay, it is apparently meant for some magic trick I didn't understand, I spray painted a dowel and glued it on, with some more of the necklaces to be my wand. The wings are also from Oriental trading company, though I put two pairs together because they only have feathers on one side (cheaply made, but they hot glued together fine). I painted the crinoline with spray on fabric paint.

The blue hair and eye lashes really make the biggest statement, in my opinion. I think it just elevates the character and makes the dressing up more fun to go to extremes. I wore this two nights, so for the first I went to get my hair done and the second I did it myself. I'm not sure which day this was. The time I got it done I asked for a beehive and ended up with a rat nest underneath- I lost a lot of hair combing that out, and wouldn't make that mistake again. I was able to accomplish a similar style but with less damage just by curling and pinning. The blue is just the typical can of colored hair spray - and if your hair is any darker than mine, I'd advise strongly AGAINST its use. It was tough to get out, and we had a blue bathroom forever, not to mention it destroyed my brush and towels. Oops.

There are more of the little tooth necklaces attached to bobby pins and stuck in my hair, and I topped it off with a little crown and big necklace(fairies like sparkly things, I've decided), blue fishnets, and long blue gloves. It was really fun to wear, and I was more than disappointed when someone dressed as Carrie won the costume contest...

I sold this costume at a yard sale that next summer, but if you see it around, you'll know where it came from :) Also, just FYI:Hubs was the Easter Bunny that year :) What a good sport!

No comments: