Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One week! One Week! ONE WEEK!!!!



I'm pretty excited. In a week, I'm heading off to NYC to visit two of my favorite people in the world, and cross one big-ass item off my bucket list: we're going to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade.

It's a community festival of sorts that celebrates the official beginning of summer, mermaids (and other folk) from all across the globe parade down to ceremonially open the beach for the summer season. Pull up Flickr.com and google Mermaid Parade and you'll see all manners of merriment - mermaids, of course, and drag queens, burlesque acts, a dance troupe called the "MARINE Antoinettes", and a healthy serving of pasties, body paint, hair color, and other sparkly fun. I plan to revel in it, and I'll be sure to take MANY photos.

The actual parade is Saturday the 20th, and I'm far behind in preparing my costume (when in Rome...and how could I miss a chance to dress up like a mermaid?!?!)with all the busy crap going on this week and last, but I plan to buckle down over the weekend and hopefully come up with something fabulous. As of now, I haven't done anything past the skirt panels and boning. Better get on it!

No comments: