Friday, June 05, 2009

Baby Face



In 2007 I hosted a baby shower (actually, a "sprinkle" - a 2nd baby shower that was more of a celebration and reason to get together than a gift extravaganza). We knew she was having a boy, so I decorated the cottage in "baby boy blue", and came up with what I think was a really cute design for baby face cookies and a round cake.

I took a cue from Charles Schultz and went minimal and cartoonish - I used the simple round shapes of the cake and cookie rather than fighting or trying to overcome them. I flat iced everything in a flesh-tone vanilla frosting, and used fudge frosting in a pastry bag with a small round tip (#2 or 3) to draw in the faces.

I stuck with a curl of hair, and varied the eyes and noses to cover a range of emotions. The cookies were sugar cookies, by the way.

The morning of the shower I ran to the party store for some last minute supplies, and ended up finding a balloon that matched my cookies & cake almost exactly! I hadn't planned it that way, but it all tied together perfectly.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I still have those balloons, by the way!!