Monday, June 01, 2009

Mermaid Costume - Starting the Tail


It's been on my bucket list to see the Coney Island Mermaid Parade before I die. A festival involving mermaids, costumes, burlesque, drag, pin ups, an amusement park, and a trip to NYC? Who could resist? I'd been waffling for a long time, but decided to go for it while I still have friends living in the city, friends who appreciate the same sparkly dress up fun and know how to navigate the crazy transit system :)

I went round and round on what to wear, and was set on an octopus dress until I saw this fabric in Joanns. TO DIE FOR. It actually really matches my mermaid's tail in colors, and it has sparkles and studs to boot. I had to have it. I scooped up the 3 yards that were left along with a pattern for a mermaid style skirt - and it's actually coming together! This weekend I cut out and stitched together all of the panels and reinforced the seams. After this picture was taken I added boning all around the bottom and rolled the hem around it - it's a start at flaring out the "fin" but not quite right yet. I'm saving the zipper & waistband for Ryan since that boggles my mind, but I did start on a fascinator and I'm still deciding on a top. I definitely want an open back to show off my full back mermaid tattoo - when in Rome, right? :)