Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Riddle me this...




I start thinking about Halloween pretty early. Sometimes before the current year's festivities are over, I have a million "must do" items for the next year all lined up. This year, since Halloween is actually on a Saturday, meaning our annual party will be on actual Halloween, I sent out some preliminary facebook "save the dates" already in the spring :) Hey, it never hurts to get the word out early, right? I'm not demanding RSVP's or anything, I'd just like to spread the word that the shindig will be happening, so as other offers come up, weigh them carefully :)

Right now I'm torn on a theme. I wasn't rushing it, but I have enjoyed coming up with ideas. I've been kicking some stuff around, but then this past weekend a couple friends pressed me for details - apparently people LIKE having the guidelines of a theme to help develop costume ideas. I can see that - though we don't REQUIRE you dress in correlation to the theme, we "encourage" it (though I'm just happy if you put in ANY effort - COSTUMES ARE REQUIRED!!! This year, no costume = NO ENTRANCE! THIS MEANS YOU, HUBBY's FRIENDS! Not that I'm bitter...)

So anyways, part of my dillemma is this: This year (NYE to be exact) I turn 30. That seems like reason for a party. However, after the Halloween party and Christmas expenses, I'm usually feeling pretty broke and tired out. We never end up doing anything awesome for NYE, despite a few attempts. Last year was okay - despite pressure to host a party, I decided I wanted to be a GUEST at something, so hubs and I got a deluxe room on Lake Superior and went to a multi course wine paring dinner. The food was excellent, and he enjoyed the wine (why don't I like wine?!?! I keep thinking I should, but I never do.), but it was still a little anti-climactic. So do I bite the bullet (and the bill) and have a NYE B-day?

Another ripple - the NEXT year, 2010 is then my GOLDEN birthday...is that bigger than a 30th birthday? Hmmm, I'm not sure. If I have a 30th, am I committing to a golden? Can I afford any of them? Will I even want to?

This weighs into Halloween theme as well, because I've always wanted to have a certain theme party, but I can't decide whether to do it for Halloween or a birthday. It could work for either, but I definitely want to have it at some point...

No comments: