Friday, June 05, 2009

The F-Bombs



Since I just can't get enough of Halloween, I decided we needed to do something in ADDITION to hosting a party last year, and came across the "Big Lebowski Bowl-a-thon" at Bryant Lake Bowl. SCORE!

It was an evening of bowling, costume contests, white russians, a dj spinning tunes from the soundtrack, and a lot of random movie quoting. Bryant Lake Bowl is adorable, and though I'm a terrible bowler, we had a blast.

To register, you had to declare a team name, and since my teammates didn't quite have the same zeal for costumes as I did (plus they were already gathering costumes for the party Saturday) I took it upon myself to come up with something for all of us. We took a different approach than most - instead of dressing up as CHARACTERS from the film (there were a ton of Dudes, Jesuses, Maudes in their viking costumes, and peed-on rugs. If you don't understand this, you've never seen the movie) we dressed up as another element which plays about as important of a role - The F Bomb :)

Legend says that there are 398 F-bombs and variants of said bomb voiced during the course of the movie, that has to be more screen time than the rug got for sure.

So I scooped up cheap white T-shirts on sale at Michaels (I think 2/$5 or so) and some red & black cotton (short quarters from Joann), along with my new favorite costume tool: fusible webbing. WHAT A TIME SAVER! Especially for things you won't be washing and wearing over and over, it's the perfect solution.

I came up with a template and cut out all of my pieces first - the "F" was from the font "cooper" but I don't remember what size, I printed out a few till I found what I wanted and just turned it into a stencil. The "bomb" is just a circle with a little cap and curvy tail, and the "sparks" were an afterthought with leftover triangles of the red (love the effect through!)

First I fused the bomb to the shirt, then the F to the bomb - just follow the directions on the package. SO MUCH QUICKER THAN SEWING!

I also picked up a package of printable t-shirt transfers, and typed out some of the better quotes from the movies which included said F-bomb. A couple were(again, this is a huge cult hit, so if you haven't seen it - you're not going to get any of this):

"Nobody f---- with the Jesus."
and
"I hate the f------ Eagles, man."

I think this might have been the biggest hit, people loved reading our backs and quoting the movie all night long, we got a lot of compliments. Though we didn't win anything with our bowling, we did get some bumper stickers (again with movie quotes - i.e. "Nice Marmot" :) and a couple gift cards to Uptown attractions. It was fun, I'd do it again, and actually the food at BLB was great - I had a grilled cheese that knocked my socks off, and they had special drink concoctions just for the theme party.

Somehow I FORGOT MY CAMERA (sacrilege! I know!) this evening, and Jen has yet to find her cord to upload the pics she got, so the memories will have to be enough. I do still have the t-shirts if anyone is attending Lebowskifest.

No comments: