Sunday, June 07, 2009

Thank You - Breast Cancer 3-Day




These were thank-you cards I sent out to all of the donors and sponsors who supported me in the 2005 Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk, which raised funds fight & treat breast cancer. I did a lot of fun and creative things in order to help raise the required $2,100.00 in donations, and yes, I walked the 60 miles. It was one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done, and by the 3rd day I was basically hobbling, not to mentioned sunburned and tearful. Somehow I made it to the end, and felt quite accomplished - and appreciative of all those who helped me participate.

I made these cards on the Kodak Gallery and it was very easy. They're a little more than a Costco or Walmart photo card, but they had a lot more options and this perfect design for my needs with the pink ribbon. I had to play with the story a little to fit my message into the small number of characters allowed, but I thought what I came up with was pretty heartfelt and touching. I knew the picture wasn't the most flattering, but did show my "battle scars" - at least the sunburn :)

It took a few weeks for me to be able to walk normally again, so you can bet when I decided to tackle it again the next year, I was intent on TRAINING a little more, and that made all the difference in the world (well, that and having Al there with me :) Though I won't be doing it again (ask me about my skin cancer...closely linked to this event - nice irony, right?)I am very glad to have experienced it. The whole event from fundraising to crossing the finish line was extremely moving and I am proud of my accomplishment both physically and philanthropically.

No comments: