Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Halloween Cupcakes #1 & 2



I made several flavors of cupcakes last year, including these I displayed on a two tier spiderweb stand.

The top are chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting which I decorated in what I'll call the "candy corn swirl" pattern. I thought they were bright and Halloween-ish without requiring too much attention to detail, and honestly I had to draw line somewhere or I'd still be working on the food.

The second layer is vanilla frostings on vanilla cupcakes, which honestly I would never make except I have one friend who LOVES them, so I'm making them more and more when I know she'll be in attendance and will gladly scoop up any leftovers. These required a little more attention to detail, but were still really easy - I could have flat iced with white, but I kind of suck at that so I just piped a tight swirl with a wide round tip. Then Iused another large round tip for the iris and pupil, and a smaller round for the "bloodshot" lines. It goes pretty quickly, but has a nice effect. You could easily do multiple eye colors, but I stuck with blue to avoid mixing more colors and save some time.

No comments: