Tuesday, August 25, 2009

EPIC disappointment


Well, despite the beautiful sunny skies, we were once again disrupted by weather. Apparently the main plane from Twin Cities Skydive was being worked on and got stuck in Detroit, whose skies weren't so sunny. We were all ready to pile in the car and got the call not to bother - major suckage, if I might be so bold. Two thumbs down.

My mother claims she did it with sheer will power.
Thanks, Mom.

How about you will the Powerball in my direction? Wouldn't that be more useful?

So we're all rescheduled again, this time they gave us a weekend slot for the price of our weekday jump, which means at least I don't have to use up another of my valuable vacation days.

Please think dry, happy, beautiful weather thoughts. You too, Mom. You most of all. :-P

I spun my wheels for a while deciding what to do and decided crafting was the way to go. I headed up to The Studio at Rush Creek again to work on a gift for my "Secret Reaper" (Think Secret Santa, but way more wicked) victim. I knew right away I wanted to do a mosaic, so I took advantage of my open afternoon to select, cut, and lay out my glass. I'm thinking something in a black and orange harlequin pattern, though it will vary slightly because I didn't get the mirror size I wanted (thought I could pick it up at Michael's, and of course they were out - should have just cut one at the studio, live and learn).

I did have an excellent coffee drink up there too - the "Frida" is coffee, chocolate, banana, and ice blended together and topped with whipped cream. Fantastic.

And since I'm totally enjoying this new art and since I detest the traffic getting up 94 (two really bad accidents today, so even though it wasn't yet rush hour, it was bumper to bumper for 45 mins on about 3 miles of 94. Not cool - and lots of ambulances), I also picked up my own glass cutter and pliers to cut pieces on my own. You can probably expect a lot more mosaic-ing in the future! I'm hoping to get started on a big Halloween Party project next week even.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Can I borrow that first picture to use for things I strongly disapprove of? It can become a standard for when something sucks.

Alison said...

When is it rescheduled?

Eek on shipping the mirror! Is that going to cost a fortune (cool as it may be)? I'm jealous of your new hobby. Maybe once I'm a wife I will pick up a hobby too. :)

HeatherEve said...

Al, that's true, I may have to re-think the size - though this is smaller so far than the one I made :) And I need to leave room for a ton of bubble wrap!

Brooke - you too can pose for your own "EPIC disappointment" photo!