Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Crafting We Will Go...Recent Goodwill Finds



The Goodwill is an AMAZING source for any crafter/repurposer/Halloween fanatic. Lately I've been stopping in once a week or more, and I'm finding great things! I got this serving dish (sort of like a trifle bowl but lower sides - not sure what it is technically called) for just $4.99!

I've also been scooping up lots of $0.99 tea cups to redecorate for my Alice party, and last night scored a bridesmaid dress that will be the perfect skirt to my Queen of Hearts costume - still pinned to the dry cleaner's hanger! While their prices on formals have jumped in the past few years (used to be in the $4 range, now they're around $19) you can still get an AMAZING deal by catching the right sale day - each week a different color tag is 50% off, and since I happened to find my dress on the right day, it was mine for $7.49! That's way cheaper than buying satin and making my own!

Another tip: Each Goodwill attracts different donations. I've found the best formals/wedding dresses/bridesmaid gowns are at the SUBURBAN stores. The downtown ones hardly get any of these, and when they do it's just Halloween and the prices are jacked. But jaunt over to Roseville or Coon Rapids and you're in business.

I should take a minute to morn the loss of the Ragstock warehouse store. Every year when I start working on Halloween or other costume projects, I wish I could still jot down there and find racks of crinolines, formals, and saris. Even though some of their prices started climbing as the hipster element crept in, they were still the best option as far as selection and pure volume. Where else could you go to dig through HUNDREDS of vintage dresses? Powder blue tuxes? Square dance skirts? Sadly, the city bought them out and they never re-built a similar location. The mall stores are pathetic in comparison. RIP, warehouse store.

No comments: