Monday, August 10, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer...


Another wild weekend over, where has this summer gone? There are so many things I had hoped to do that will probably have to wait another year:

Valleyfair - and a heads up, Costco is selling discount tickets somewhere in the $25 range, that's more than $10 off.

Entering Creative Activities in the State Fair - the deadline to pre-register online is tomorrow, I'm coming to the realization I can't likely get anything (good) done in time this year. I've taken a few years off now, maybe next year I'll make another run at the big ribbons and $3 cash prizes ;)

Visit Duluth - I had tossed the idea around of heading up this past weekend (our randomly free weekend) but when I made a few inquiries I found out it was the huge Bayfront Blues Festival, so hotel rooms were $400 a night and Canal Park would have been a zoo. We used to go up there all the time, but I think since our wedding we've only made it back once or twice.

Finish the weed war - I totally let this one slide. The vinegar had a mild effect on the weeds it was directly soaked onto, but has since totally recovered (and is now THRIVING with all of our recent rain). Clearly, I need to just get down on my knees and rip them all out, but with the humidity of this past weekend it just wasn't happening, and the rest of the summer weekends are pretty much full!


Take down the ugly wallpaper in our basement bathroom, tile the floor (which is currently CARPETED - eew), take down the wallpaper and paint our guest bedroom, paint the master bedroom...there are about a million house projects we never really got rolling on. And the more HG TV I watch, the more I want to tear down walls, add a soaker tub with jets, and re-build our patio. Oh well, not gonna happen this year!

Go berry picking - we miss this every year, realizing it would be a fun activity once everything has long been picked. Sigh.

I've yet to make it to a beach, a pool, a spa, or a cabin, and the stores are already filled with school supplies and even Halloween decor. Goodbye summer, we were like 2 ships passing in the night - perhaps next year we can stop and visit a while.

4 comments:

Alison said...

But at least you got to sit in the car with me and walk along the Mississippi for a few minutes. :)

Brooke said...

You're talking commercial berry picking, right? Because picking wild berries truly sucks. I refused to go blueberry picking this last week on the grounds that A) I don't eat blueberries and B) I don't like being eaten alive by bugs.

HeatherEve said...

Brooke: Yes, I mean at a berry farm - strawberries or raspberries all laid out for you to fill up a bucket. I'd never trust myself eating food in the wild :)

Al: LaCrosse was beautiful! Can't wait to be there all decked out in my wedding garb with ya' :)

Alison said...

Berry picking is fun! I'll take you next summer and then we can bake together. :)