Monday, November 02, 2009

Tips & Tricks: Wicked Wonderland Peppered Pigs in a Blanket

Well these were the big hit of the night, so big, in fact, that I never got to taste one! I guess that just reinforces how much everyone liked them, every time I filled up the chafing dish they were instantly gone again!

This dish came about rather haphazardly, I knew I wanted something about "Peppered pigs" and I was already having mini cocktail weenies, so I didn't want more hotdogs. I did a google search and came up with a bunch of peppered bacon ideas that I blogged about here, and eventually settled on the middle one, with a few changes.

First, I don't like nor could I find cornbread twists, so I got Pillsbury breadsticks (same as I used for the mini bread bowls). I also got a huge bag of pre-cooked bacon from Costco that was AWESOME, and I might have to keep around all the time. I'm a total bacon junkie.

My good friend Al volunteered to come over early and help, and she cranked these out while I was frantically slathering on my makeup and wig. Here's how to do it:

The recipe is simple:

Coating:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
This is for 1 can of breadsticks, we made 4 and just quadrupled the above.
I couldn't find or determine what "cracked black pepper" was, so I got black pepper. Seemed to work just fine. The initial recipe says to seal two breadsticks together, but we used one and it was fine - in fact, we still cut them in half to a more "finger food" suitable size.

Al wrapped the bacon & breadstick in a twist, rolled it in the sugar mixture, and baked them @ 375 for around 13 mins - until golden.

I served them in a chafing dish, but didn't need to - they went faster than they would have gotten cold anyways :) These seem to be a perfect party food - quick, fairly easy, mixture of savory & sweet, and not too rich. I highly recommend them, and if you're having a party, can you save me one this time? :)

No comments: