Monday, November 02, 2009

Tips & Tricks: Wicked Wonderland Falling Hallway


Here's a quick and easy way to really get a huge impact for a little price - like I did in my "fun house" hallway (sneak peek was here). All it took was a scissor, some painter's tape (the kind they use to mask off windows and such - blue) and a roll of this stuff:















That's just a plastic tablecloth roll, though the black and white checkers can be a bit hard to track down. None of my local party stores had it, so I went online - the first place back ordered it and delayed me twice, so I cancelled and eventually ordered off Ebay. With shipping for the odd shape it was about $30, but that's still a helluva deal for how much "oomph!" you get.






I hung long sheets covering the entire hallway that runs from the living room to the bathroom (and also connects the two bedrooms - ours we didn't want anyone in, hence the "do not enter" tape :) Hey, I cleaned all the important areas!)

I just used lots of little curls of painters tape across the top of the wall, and hung the sheets slightly overlapping. I found that the natural static between the plastic and the wall really helped hold it up too - for about a week, then that died off and it started to seem "looser" but still held. For some interest and to add to the Alice theme I borrowed some clocks from my mother's collection - they look really cool on the background, sort of like you're falling, and they're just hung on existing nails that usually hold photo frames:



I cut a few pieces to fit down narrower walls or go above doors, and cut out a circle around the smoke detector, otherwise it was all checkers! My husband said he got dizzy walking down the hall like that first thing in the morning - I'd say mission accomplished then!


The plastic and tape pull off easily leaving no damage - and actually, they can be re-rolled and re-used from year to year if you number the panels (which I won't be doing, but it's a nice idea :)






I used less than 1/2 of the roll for the hallway (I think it's 100+ feet?) so the cost of this whole area was under $20. I'm a big fan of tablecloth rolls.

No comments: