Monday, October 26, 2009

All this talk about peanut butter balls reminds me...


I've yet to share my recipe! Well I couldn't deny the world this tasty little treat, so here's how I make the magic:


2 Cups Creamy Peanut Butter - I usually use Jif, but doesn't matter.

1/2 Cup Salted Butter (again, the first recipe I used called for unsalted butter + salt, so I just kill two birds with one stone and use salted butter)

2 - 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar

1/2 Tsp Vanilla

Chocolate Almond Bark/Dipping Chocolate

Crisco (to thin the chocolate)

Microwave the butter & peanut butter for 1 minute in a microwave safe bowl. Don't skip this, even if your butter is already soft - it seriously makes EVERYTHING easier. Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla until you have a doughy consistency - add more confectioner's sugar if necessary. Roll into balls and place on waxed paper. Chill while you start the chocolate.

I melt my chocolate in a double boiler I inherited, which my be my favorite piece of kitchen equipment. I strongly recommend one if you like to do chocolate dipped strawberries, pretzels, cookies, or anything else - it saves a lot of time and product, I've never scalded chocolate using this method. Stir the chocolate periodically, and thin with a small amount of Crisco as needed.

Dipping is not something I excel at, but luckily, nobody ever stares at peanut butter balls long enough to judge them - they just scarf them down! I usually use a set of wooden skewers or toothpicks - stab the peanut butter, quickly run it through the chocolate, let the excess drain off, and set on wax paper to harden. It's easiest when the peanut butter center is cold & solid - if it starts to get warm it goes misshapen too easily. If the stick left a hole, I go back with a knife and smooth on some extra chocolate to cover it up.

Once cooled and hardened, serve in mini muffin cups. You can store for 2 weeks in an airtight container, but I've never seen them last that long - they disappear pretty quickly :)

No comments: