Thursday, December 31, 2009

Birthday Dinner

So far the big 3-0 has been a mixed bag. My phone died, which means my alarm clock died, contributing to me being a couple hours late for work. That doesn't really bother me nearly as much as T-Mobile refusing to sell me another pre-paid cell online (apparently I'm a terrorist? or a drug dealer?) because of a "discrepancy" that they will neither elaborate on nor allow me to correct. WTF T-Mobile? They keep insisting that I go into a store, where they are always more expensive. ARGGH!

BUT, on the flipside, hubby gave me two FANTASTIC birthday gifts (details to come), we're spending the evening with friends, and I'm already drooling over my birthday dinner at Fogo de Chao:

Loosely translated, Fogo de Chão means “protein-lover’s paradise.” Brazilian gauchos in pantaloons scamper from table to table, sawing hunks of meat from large skewers onto patron’s plates. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb—there are 15 cuts in all, from rack to tenderloin, plus sides of polenta, potatoes, and a salad bar. ~MN Monthly



I had lots of ups and downs when searching for a dinner reservation for my birthday, though I thought we were aiming fairly early I was repeatedly faced with places that don't take reservations (Old Spaghetti Factory - one of my favorites, but a seriously annoying policy), only had mid-afternoon reservations (Melting Pot - still haven't ever tried them!), or didn't survive the year (The Vineyard - RIP, special salad). I was getting pretty down about the whole thing (my yearly "I HATE THIS BIRTHDAY" rant may have come up a few times), but then on a whim I tried Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steak house friends had just visited and RAVED about. When they described it as essentially "all you can eat MEAT" I was sold!

I made an online reservation with no problems, but then thought that seemed too easy so I called too - they confirmed, our reservation was good, and they had their normal set up on NYE (no price jacking or mandatory-alternate-super-limited menues, like some places - Melting Pot). I'm so excited! I have a feeling we're going to end up waddling out the door, and I hope we can stay awake for Al's NYE party (don't worry Al, I'm looking forward to it!)

Happy New Year All, may it bring you everything you need and most of what you want.





Except T-mobile, you can kiss my @$$.

No comments: