Friday, July 31, 2009

Bulk Gerbera Daisies from Costco



I briefly considered DIY-ing all of the flowers for my wedding, but decided I didn't want to be bothered and stressed with creating bouquets, corsages, and bouts as close to the ceremony as I'd need to work with fresh flowers. So I did hire a florist for those parts, and they were okay (not great...not nearly as great as my sister's flowers turned out)but I absolutely couldn't stomach paying flower shop prices for my reception tables. I looked at a lot of options, and ended up going through Costco.com for a bulk box of gerbera daisies, my FAVORITE! I don't have the exact figure from when we ordered, but they are currently listed at 80 assorted stems for just about $90, shipping and handling included. This is SO MUCH BETTER than the $4-5 each my florist quoted me!

Since we got married out of town, I had them shipped to my aunt's house to arrive two days before the wedding (Thursday). They came in two big boxes, and each flower had a little "hood" to protect the bloom and a "straw" to protect the stem. Per the directions, we removed the hoods (but left the straws) and stacked them all in big buckets of water. They looked GREAT! They perked up a bit with the water, and looked just as beautiful two days later for the wedding. I was a little worried about what colors I'd receive, since you don't have any control, but it was a pretty good assortment - red, pink, orange, yellow - they were bright and fun.



We kept them in the buckets till Friday night when we were decorating (that was awesome - if you can get in early to your site, I strongly recommend it. Totally cuts down day-of stresses). We cut and arranged them into blue bubble vases from The Dollar Tree.

I had great luck with this service, and would do it again in a heartbeat. At the end of the night we actually had people arguing over who got to take them home(I took that as a good sign they looked nice!).

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Whoa!! Who are those good looking people in the picture frame??