Thursday, July 30, 2009

Time Management Tip


I am a recovering procrastinator.

I think a lot of people can identify with wanting to do a million different things, but never quite getting to them. One way I've helped to overcome this is subtly changing my time management.

I'm rarely going to get up early on a Saturday and work on crafts, run errands, or work on the house - sleep trumps those activities every time. But on days where I have a short gap between work and an evening event, I've found that I can be extremely productive if I do one thing: NOT go home.

I learned while waitressing that the pain in your feet and back were never so bad as when you had relaxed for a short time and had to get up again. The same seems to be true with my energy level. If I go home and crash on the couch for 1/2 hour, I'm out the rest of the night. But if I go straight from work to running errands, I can crank out a ton of tasks, even fighting rush hour traffic.

Case in point - yesterday I got off work at 4:30 and had to be to a scrapbooking workshop at 7. In that 2 1/2 hour window I hit Party City and got all the paper goods for my next bachelorette party, Costco to survey menu choices (decided, but did not purchase the ingredients - since I wasn't going home for a few hours...this was a "DUH" moment on my part), Michael's for a couple miscellaneous things I've needed to finish up projects, dinner at Subway, and then off to my workshop.

If I would have gone home, I would have spent more time travelling, unloading, and reloading than I got to spend relaxing, and I would have only had a 50% chance of prying myself back off the couch (or new chairs!) for the workshop.

Confuscious say: Just do it.
SWOOSH

No comments: