Friday, July 10, 2009

Hey mom, these are just, um, rockets?



I know my mother reads this blog, generally in the wee hours of the morning. She was already scandalized at the half naked mermaids from my Coney Island trip, so I can only imagine what this is going to do to her. Sorry mom. But I couldn't deny the creative public this fun bachelorette project.

And seriously folks, how cute are these?!?!? Bachelorette party #1 is this weekend, and I volunteered to bring a couple dozen cupcakes. I baked my traditional extra moist dark chocolate cupcakes in fuscia foil cups. I frosted half in vanilla (my favorite combo) and the other half in fudge, and topped each with one of these tiny peanut butter peckers. I actually think they look pretty adorable.

And, the giving person I am, I'm going to tell you how to make these little darlings at home!

First, the molds - I got mine in the "adult" drawer at Lynn's Cake & Candy Supply in Spring Lake Park. They have strange hours but are one of the best resources for cake & candy supplies in the metro area. They just have one little drawer under the candy molds that says "adult" and it's rather hilarious to dig through. These were around $3.50, and I got 2 - one thing about candy molding, the more molds you have, the more you can do at once which sounds basic, but every time you need to wash, dry, and re-melt candy for another batch, it takes wayyyyy longer than just doing a bunch at once - well worth a few bucks more.

Second, the candy. I looked around at a lot of options, and had intended on coloring my own "flesh" candy, but when I was digging around at Michael's I came across peanut butter candy melts - PERFECT! Candy melts are the easiest for these types of molds, you can control the portion you melt, they melt quickly and in the microwave, and come in many colors. Buying the right color saves a ton of time and mess over self-coloring.


I put 1/3 of a bag of candy melts or so into a disposable pastry bag and melted them in the microwave. Melt them in short bursts of 30 seconds or less, and massage the bag in between to keep the temperature even. Snip the tip of the bag and pipe the melted mixture into the molds. Do not overfill.

Once all the cavities are filled, lightly tap the mold on the counter for 10 - 20 seconds as the mixture spreads throughout the mold and the air bubbles rise to the surface and pop.


Place the molds in the fridge for a short time until hard (I find this happens in less than 15 minutes). Carefully remove candies from mold.



Voila! Naughty pastries for a ladies' night out!

I have more bachelorette-related posts to come, but I don't want to ruin all the surprises right now, so I'll put them up later on :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Heather...leave it to you to make these cute cupcakes!! I love them!! I'm sooo mad that I could'nt make it to the party! I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures..!! Holly

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make these in a few weeks for my freinds party!