Friday, July 31, 2009

Cinnamon Bat Chips + Fruit Salsa



Mmmmm
I could eat a bowl of these right now.

Cinnamon chips are easy to make, especially if you have a kid or someone to cut out all the shapes for you. Here's the process:

Supplies:
pre-made tortillas in whatever size you want
butter (melted)
basting brush
cinnamon & sugar mixture
baking sheets
cookie cutter

You can personalize these for any holiday, or make them quicker in a generic wedge shape by slicing them with a pizza cutter. But to make bats or any other shape, I suggest a heavy duty metal cookie cutter (I used plastic, but honestly, the times I've made them with metal are wayyyyyy easier!). On a hard cutting-safe surface, cut out as many chips as you want.

Brush each side with melted butter and toss in cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Broil in the oven until crisp. I usually go around 400 degrees, and have no idea how long - just till they get slightly golden and crispy. Too long and they will burn & the sugar crystallize, you'll know.

Tip: Use parchment paper to line your baking sheets and you can save washing in between batches while still re-using the same sheets.

Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool before stacking - otherwise they might stick together.

Serve on their own, or great with fruit salsa (particularly when served in a silver skull!)

There are tons of recipes for fruit salsa out there, I just google them from time to time and choose one based on what I have around. Most are just chopped fruit + some sugar. For this party I made a chunky salsa, cutting the fruit very fine but not mashing it in a food processor - though I've also made the Tupperware recipe using their food chopper, and it's very good.

No comments: