Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The End of an Era....




Today, I'm a brunette.

It's a little odd.

I've never been a brunette before, except for about two weeks after high school that there aren't any photos of. In my wedding photos my hair looks pretty dark, but that is mostly the effect of 7 layers of hair spray and other shellac. But it was time to face the facts. I had mucky in between colored hair with 6" roots and random faded rainbow streaks. I have 6 weddings coming up which will likely involve a ton of photos. I had to abandon the trailer trash half bleached mess and get back to basics.

This is supposedly my "natural" color. The pics above give you a little comparison - I can't actually say I was a "blond" immediately before this, but I had definite blond ends, with an indescribable color of roots that it turns out are a pretty dark brown when not surrounded by yellow. Who knew?

I'm still getting used to it, and reviews have been mixed. The hubby's initial response was "Why did you do that?" followed by "It looks like a wig." (Seriously, of all the stuff I've done to my hair, THIS is where he stops playing along?!?!) But a dear friend assured me it's okay, and the kicker - SHE SAID I LOOK OLDER!

I should add a caveat here that I am not the typical youth-chasing woman. I am repeatedly mistaken for someone more than 10 years younger, and I just find it annoying. I get carded going to movies. MOVIES. That means I look under 18. I also get confused for a student at the high school I coach at. I don't consider it a compliment. So looking older is A-OK in my book :) Maybe I can finally pass for 25 now that I'm almost 30?

So, I can't decide if I like it, but it's probably better than the mess I went in with. At least it's relatively close to one color.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I LOVE IT!! Very beautiful!!