Wednesday, October 06, 2010

People Who Impress Me: Filth Wizardry

I stumbled on the "Filth Wizardry" blog a while back and knew I had to book mark it right away - this woman and her kids do the most amazing, yet accessible crafts. And they actually play with them, and don't come off all blog-snobby like some mommyblog sites do, where you know that everything is staged perfectly and the kid probably never gets to actually touch the paint. In fact, it appears from many of the photos that they have a stretch of concrete outside their house that is covered with bright paint drops from their various projects, which is all kinds of awesome. Anyways, her daughters are currently into Star Wars, and so she whipped up some Milk Jug Storm Trooper costumes:



Yeah, she totally did that. And she teaches you how too, in a handy little step by step tutorial with photos, HERE.

And her post just before that - just as awesome:



Those are little peg dolls she made into the whole darned cast, INCLUDING HAN SOLO IN CARBONITE.

Wow. Just, wow.

I'm not personally a huge Star Wars nerd, but I can appreciate the culture, and most of all I appreciate that you don't have to be a professional artist to pull these off - they're "REAL" somehow, like with street cred :)

Yes, crafters care about street cred. Or I do anyways. She reminds me of my mom, who seemed to like playing and creating as much (sometimes more) than I did, and whose whole attitude towards messy toys like Playdoh was "eh, let it dry, it'll vacuum up!"

Please give me the patience to be this kind of mom :)

No comments: