Monday, October 25, 2010

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCK!!!!!

That's the sound my inner control freak makes when I'm under the gun and know I won't be getting everything done I had planned. It's nothing new, I do it every year - aiming high is good, right? Unfortunately I'm not good at cutting projects or dealing with the emotional effects of not getting everything I wanted accomplished. This year has been obviously a little more of a struggle, being 7+ months pregnant I don't have the strength, endurance, or physical agility to get everything done I usually do. Somehow that message has not made itself clear in my brain yet, and I keep being disappointed when I have to stop and rest or ask for help. I'm working on it. Pregnancy is humbling in all aspects.

Despite my limitations, I did manage to make the most of my last weekend of work time - all of my pre-shopping is done, the Mardi Gras and Voodoo rooms are done, half of the pieces for the front yard are finished, and the glue is drying on this year's costume awards:



More voodoo dolls! These guys are a little bigger than the invitation , around 14", and I whipped them together tonight when my plan of working on the basement fell through (I ran out of staples. How do I not have staples?!?!?) I stuck with the three main awards I've established - the obvious "Best Costume" award:



I also like to give out a "Most Creative", and each year there have been SO MANY deserving candidates. This year's award looks like:



And finally is the "Best Couple or Group" costume award, so far it's always gone to a couple living in the same house, which is fortuitous since it's only one "trophy", but not necessarily a requirement. Perhaps a shared custody agreement could be arranged for non-spousal winners. Or there's always the possibility of surgery, though I worked hard to stitch these two voodoo dolls TOGETHER:



Not the best photos, but you get the idea - now I just can't wait to see all of the costumes!

No comments: