Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love is in the...Zoo.

We don't usually do anything fun for Valentine's Day, I basically have the same feelings about going out to eat on that night as I do for New Year's Eve and spending money on chocolate, flowers, and stuffed animals is just gets my hubby in trouble. I blame my mother, who was once presented with a gorgeous opal and diamond ring on her anniversary only to dissolve into tears wailing "but I wanted carpet!" (In her defense, we had red shag at the time. But the ring is GORGEOUS).

Anyhoo, this year will be a little different. The hubs and I actually have Valentine's Day plans, and they're pretty good ones! In January we celebrated 10 years together, which I felt warranted a gift. TEN YEARS. That is 1/3 of my life. A decade. Forever. That's at least worth dinner.

I was actually out of town for the evening, but I left hubs a card tucked into his Kindle case (extremely clever on my part). The front had a photo of two penguins, and inside was the menu and our reservation for:

MN Zoo Love Tour

(Photo courtesy of City Pages)

Our annual Valentine event is a perfect way to spend a romantic evening out. This year’s event will again provide a glimpse into the private lives of a variety of animals. From courtship to breeding, our furry, feathered, and scaly, indulge in exotic romantic rituals. For adults only (ages 21 +) the Love Tour is a one of a kind experience. After your tour enjoy a sumptuous dinner in Discovery Bay.

Date: Sunday, February 14
Time: Tours start 5:45 p.m. and run every 15 minutes until 7:15 p.m. (Each tour is approximately one hour).
Dinner seatings at 7:30 and 8:30 p.m.
Price: $175.00 per couple
Includes tour, dinner, and special keepsake.

Proceeds from this event benefit the Minnesota Zoo’s Conservation Programs.

How fun will this be?!?!? It's actually sold out now, so I'm glad I didn't wait (these were also purchased prior to reconciling our taxes and finding out we owe WAY too much - oops). My hubby LOVES the zoo and I'm generally unenthused about watching other people's poorly behaved kids scream and run and show no respect for the animals or other families - but the Love Tour is ADULTS ONLY! That's right folks, I get to stare at the lemurs all by myself, without some snotty drippy kid banging on the glass and throwing their G.I. Joes into the enclosure. That might be worth the ticket price alone.

And then there's the dinner:
Butler Passed Appetizers
Louisiana Shrimp, Blackened Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Chili Orange Glaze
Bulgogi, Korean BBQ Beef with grilled scallions and soy glaze
Wild Mushroom Phyllo Purse, Vegetarian Wild Mushroom Duxelle Stuffed in a Phyllo Pastry

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salad
Mixed Greens with Frissee Surrounded By Julienne Pea Pods, Carrots, and Cucumber Drizzled with Toasted Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette with Wonton Stick

Sea to the Land
Sirloin Encrout & Poached Halibut, freshly sautéed julienne mirepoix, roasted garlic mushroomed red potatoes, steamed patty pan vegetables and baby zucchini. Served with maitre d’ butter and veal demi glaze

Tofu Provencal
Tomato Stuffed with Tofu and Mirepoix, served on a grilled portobello mushroom with garlic red mushroomed potatoes, steamed patty pan vegetables and baby zucchini. Smothered in white wine sauce

Crème Brulee Cheese Cake
Crème Brulee Cheese Cake with chocolate drizzled hearts and crème anglaise

Will I like all of these things? No. Do I even know what they all are? Not hardly (and neither does my spell check - but they're copied straight from the website). I can identify sirloin, potatoes, and cheese cake, so I figure I won't go hungry :)

Hugs, Kisses, and Valentine Wishes...

No comments: