Thursday, April 08, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME:

Don't you just love it when birthdays stretch out for months? Back when I hit the big 3-0 my parents gave me a set of concert tix, and the date finally rolled around last night.



When an evening starts with two peach daiquiris and prime rib, you know it's going to be gooooooooood.

When you sail easily through unfamiliar streets, find your parking ramp, and nail a very decent space, you know it's going to be excelllllllllent.

And when you climb into these seats at the Xcel Energy center, and take a look at your sweet view:



You are ready for the AWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!!!!!!



(it's called the circle tour, get it?)



The pics don't really do it justice, my "real" camera lens was over 2" and I didn't want to risk it being confiscated, so these are all from the tiny point & shoot which doesn't like zoom + low light. I think they actually make us look farther away than we were - we had GREAT sight lines, even though everyone stood the entire time. Click the pics to enlarge.



It was a FULL HOUSE, and the crowd was really diverse:



On the way in we passed a lot of teeny boppers who clearly weren't even alive during the hair band days, a lot of girls in skanky tank tops and stiletto heels, and also a lot of 40-something soccer moms flashing back to their youth. Four of the latter were seated in the middle of our row, and hadn't come to terms with their incontinence yet, so there was a lot of shuffling back and forth for them to get in and out every other song.



Of course we sat behind some middle aged douche bags who were wasted before the show even started, and they were not hot enough to be grinding on each other the way they were in public, but everyone's pal KARMA stepped in when the wifey basically passed out halfway through the show and they left. SCORE! Back to the awesomeness:



I had a little laugh about the T-shirts - the stands were MOBBED, and people were buying them hand over fist, but take a look at the prices:



Ha! I get irritable paying $12 for a t-shirt, $50 just wasn't happening, sorry Jon Bon. You'll have to be happy with the $300 we paid for tickets (shh, don't tell mom!).



The lighting and video boards were the real stars of the show - they had elaborate backgrounds and moving parts for every song.



Ever wonder how Jon stays so fit at 48 years old? It's easy to understand when you see him run around on raised platforms, jump, and dance like a madman for two hours a night:



Loved "I'll Be There For You," "Bad Name," "(You Want to Make) A Memory,"Who Says You Can't Go Home," and my favorite is "It's My Life."



We ditched before the encore, which I'm assuming was "Livin' on a Prayer" and would have been awesome, but getting out ahead of 18,000 people was pretty awesome too. :) I also would have loved to hear "Bed of Roses" and "Wanted," maybe next time. Overall, it was a really great show - I haven't been to a big arena concert in a long time, and I was scared the sound quality would be crap, but it was wonderful, and not even too loud! My ears rang for most of the way home, but I'm fine today.



Thanks again for the excellent 30th b-day gift, Mom & Dad, it was FANTASTIC!

No comments: