Sunday, July 31, 2011

8 is GREAT! 9 is FINE! 10 is...

...the only thing I can come up with is "b!@#$-en" if you exaggerate the ending. Not my finest work, but I guess we'll go with that. Rhyming must be in the part of my brain that is comatose from lack of sleep, along with most words of 3 syllables or greater, the location of my tax paperwork, and the majority of my short term memory.

We took a mini vacation this weekend to see TC's grandpa "Up North" and though it was a LOT of work (we definitely need a mini van. Or a tank.), we had a really nice time. And a lot of FUN, so I'm getting back on track there! :) I'm giving myself credit for fun on all 3 days, accomplished in the form of:

I read a book!



I appreciate most of Tina Fey's humor (though I do gag at the lengths of some of the self deprication, come on lady, you can geek it up all you want but you are also BEAUTIFUL and we've all seen it), and the book was a quick read. My favorite part is the prayer for her daughter towards the end, you've probably seen it floating around on facebook - it's funny and smart and true, and I particularly cry every time I read this part, which hits home so strongly right now:

And should she choose to be a Mother one day, be my eyes, Lord, that I may see her, lying on a blanket on the floor at 4:50 A.M., all-at-once exhausted, bored, and in love with the little creature whose poop is leaking up its back.

”My mother did this for me once,” she will realize as she cleans feces off her baby’s neck. “My mother did this for me.” And the delayed gratitude will wash over her as it does each generation and she will make a Mental Note to call me. And she will forget. But I’ll know, because I peeped it with Your God eyes.


...I also cried tears of joy and appreciation as hubby entertained TC (and they both fell asleep in a pile on the recliner) so I could take some time to read said book, which was one of the most indulgent treats I've had in a while.



The weather was BEAUTIFUL and we walked all over town and went through every tacky little gift shop in the street (I love sparkly crap, I can't help it). TC is sitting up in the "real" stroller now (as opposed to the infant carrier snapped on top) and loved her new vantage point, she was quiet as a mouse taking in all the new sights. She was mesmerized by the water lapping against the rocks at the public dock:



We also had lots of fun introducing The Cupcake around town to hubby's childhood friends and former co-workers, grandpa's co-workers, and various wandering dogs and seagulls. Since it was vacation, we also let her try her first bite of ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, (we withheld the deep fried ice cream topping - but just thinking about it makes me salivate. DEFINITELY brought me joy! Also getting credit: Peach daquari! Pollo wrap! Chips & salsa!), and she also licked on a lemon and a lime. In general, she disliked everything. If this keeps up, I may demand DNA testing at some point to verify she is my child.

She definitely enjoyed the beach though -



It was cold at first, but so warm in the sun that we quickly acclimated. She splashed with abandon, jumped in the waves, and marveled at her first touch of sand between her toes. Family, food, firsts - it was a lovely little weekend for all.

No comments: