Wednesday, August 03, 2011

"Turns the Brain to Mush" - a very encouraging statement...

I know I had fun yesterday, and was even mentally putting together a "brought me joy" post, but I never got around to getting it out and now...I can't remember what I was going to talk about.

I actually can't really remember what I did yesterday.

There are a LOT of things I can't remember. It's frankly starting to freak me out.

My short term memory has gotten progressively worse since The Cupcake's arrival, and I'm assuming (hoping) that it's just hormones or lack of sleep. That sounds probable, and much less expensive than any of the alternatives, especially since we have pretty crappy insurance right now. Did I already talk about the study that found mice who are woken up a lot during the night act like drunken amnesiacs?

(Note: I had to check. I really thought I had written about this. Guess not. Searching "Drunken Amnesiac Mice" returned zero results on my blog - BUT NOT ANYMORE!)

Anyways, Good Morning America or something similar did a tiny little segment recently on a "new study" that found mice who were woken up repeatedly during the night acted all crazy and could not keep their shiz together.

Huh, who knew? Maybe...EVERY MOM EVER? Or maybe it's just me...totally possible...

So this is a very long and rambling way to say TC still wakes up 2-25 times a night, and even when she IS sleeping, I wake up and stare at her, or think about the other 500 things I need to do.

But I keep hearing it all gets better...right?

Also, do you love that I can't remember what day of the week it is, but the phrase "drunken amnesiacs" stuck in my brain clearly? I kind of do too.

As I was trying to remember the point of this post, I googled "sleep study mice drunken amnesiac" and found an article about the study in question. The good news is IT'S NOT JUST ME! At least one Portland mom and a bunch of lab rats have the same problem. However, the article cites no remedies, solutions, or is hazy about whether or not I should hope for sleep ever again.

What were we talking about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I found your blog while researching mermaid costumes. My January "baby" is 14, and I fear our Halloween opportunities are dwindling. She requested a mermaid costume, so ... Anyway, I completely forgot about Momnesia until I saw this - it really does go away! (i think we block it out entirely.) Momnesia, FYI, comes right on the heels of Pregnesia.
Love your mermaid costume - I don't think I'll suggest the tattoo to the teenager. But I did let her dye her hair pink!
Elizabeth in Maine